Author
Old photos of Alagir, Republic of North Ossetia-Alania
Coat of arms Alagir

Cities of the World | Cities of the Russia | List of cities of North Ossetia-Alania

History of city Alagir, Republic of North Ossetia-Alania in photos

A small historical reference

Geography: Alagir is an industrial town and the administrative center of Alagirsky District in the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania, Russia, located on the west bank of the Ardon River, 54 kilometers (34 mi) west of the republic's capital Vladikavkaz.

Date of foundation: 1398

History: The town was established in 1850 by Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov, the Viceroy of the Caucasus, near an ancient silver/lead mine in the nearby Alagir Gorge. It was built up as a fortification around a smelting plant and became a major mining center. By the end of the 19th century, it had been increasingly populated by Georgians and Russians who came to work there.

Alagir was granted town status in 1938.

Population: 20 949

Alagir. Sloboda Alogir, 1886
Sloboda Alogir, 1886
Alagir. Silver-lead plant
Silver-lead plant
Alagir. View on Ardon river, 1900
Alagir gorge, view on Ardon river, 1900
Alagir. Silver actory near village Alagir, 1900
Silver actory near village Alagir, 1900

Photos posted on the website in accordance with Article 7, paragraph 1 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works of 9 September 1886, the term of protection which is fifty years after the author's death.

After this period photos it becomes public domain. The participants of the Berne Convention are 167 States.


Robinson Rd, CB 13862 Nassau, NP, The Bahamas
Flag Counter