A small historical reference
Elista - the capital of Kalmykia, located west of the central part of the republic. In the city is the source of the river Elista. Date of establishment - 1865. Previous name - Elista (until 1944), Steppenwolf (until 1957). The city history begins with the former serf Stepan Prokopyevich Kiykov, who on the advice of Kalmyk Bola spring 1862 built the first hut in the beam Elista Sala. By the fall of 1865 in the village, there were 15 houses. This year is considered the founding year of Elista. Widespread fame brought Elista cattle fair, the largest in the Kalmyk steppe.
The city's economy is represented by oil and gas companies (JSC "Kalmneft", JSC "Kalmgaz", JSC "KalmTatneft"), processing industry (food, clothing and printing industries), as well as dealing with the production and distribution of electricity, gas and water.