History of city Lensk, Sakha (Yakutia) Republic in photos
A small historical reference
Lensk - the center of Lensky district of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), located in the southwest of the republic , on the left bank of the Lena River. Date of establishment - 1663. Previous name - Muhtuya. The city history begins with the settlement of "industrial" people at the site of the Evenki camp Muhtuy. In the XVIII century for maintenance the 2nd Kamchatka expedition of Bering was established coachman postal station Muhtuya.
The rapid growth of the city began in the mid XX century and is linked to the discovery and development of diamond deposits in the basin Viluy. The village Muhtuy was the closest (230 km) locations to the kimberlite pipe "Mir", so it became a base for the construction of the city of Mirny. The basis of the economy of the city - the river and road transport.
First mention: 1663
History: Previous names - Mukhtui
Population: 23 660
Diamond mining open way
The township Muhtuya
Photos posted on the website in accordance with Article 7, paragraph 1 of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works of 9 September 1886, the term of protection which is fifty years after the author's death.
After this period photos it becomes public domain. The participants of the Berne Convention are 167 States.