A small historical reference
Geography: Magadan is a port town and the administrative center of Magadan Oblast, Russia, located on the Sea of Okhotsk in Nagayevo Bay in Taui Bay and serving as a gateway to the Kolyma region.
Date of foundation: 1929
History: Magadan is the center of the Magadan Region, located in the south of the region, on the shore of the Tauisk Bay of the Sea of Okhotsk, on the isthmus connecting the Staritsky Peninsula with the mainland between the bays of Nagaev and Gertner. The Magadanka River divides the city into two parts. City history begins with the construction of the East-Evenk (Nagaev) cult-base, on June 22, 1929 construction of houses, a school, a veterinary post, a hospital and a boarding school began. In 1930, the state joint-stock company "Soyuzzoloto" organized a port point for a constant call in the harbor of ships and with the opening of navigation here began steamships with people and cargo.
Near the village of Nagaevo in 1929, construction of a working village of Magadan for the development of minerals in the Kolyma region begins. On the banks of the Magadanka River appeared wooden and adobe houses, dugouts and tents of the first settlers of the village. The future city of Magadan consisted first of two settlements - Nagaevo and Magadan.
The economic basis of the city is made up of a mechanical plant, a woodworking combine, the Omolonsk Gold Mining Company, the Russian Company of Ferro Metals, the Kolyma Coal Company, a dairy plant, a bakery, a fish factory, etc.
Population: 92 081