A small historical reference
Velsk - center of district Belsky Arkhangelsk Region, located in the south-west of the region, on the left bank of the river Vaga, in a place where it meets the river Vel. Date of the first written mention a collection point of the church tribute - 1137. Already in the XIX century Velsk - the center of flax production, as well as wood products (resin, turpentine, tar, etc.).
In the Soviet period Velsk - center of the timber and resin industries (timber industry, lesoperevalochnye base and others). In the city asphalt plant, meat and dairy plants, bakery, poultry.
Date of foundation:
Population: 22 856