A small historical reference
South Sahalinsk- center of the Sakhalin Region, located in the southeast of the island of Sakhalin, Susuya River, 25 km from the coast of the Sea of Okhotsk. Date of establishment - 1882, the first written mention - 1876. Previously the name - the village Vladimirovka (until 1905), until 1947 - the Japanese city of Toyohara Karafuto governorship.
City history originates from the village of Vladimirovka - settlement dates graduating exiled settlers and convicts. The settlers raised cattle, plowed land, engaged in fishing and other fisheries. By the beginning of the XX century on the river slingshot built a mill. At the western end of the modern street Sakhalin was agricultural farm. There were a post office, school, retail shops, a chapel, a number of state-owned houses.
From 1905 to January 2nd 1947 the town and the island was in possession of the Japanese Emperor and called administrative - the city of Toyohara Karafuto governorship. Since 1947, the city renamed Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk region Khabarovsk territory.
Date of foundation: 1882
Population: 193 669